The Mountain View Chamber of Commerce is a membership based non-profit that integrates business, government, and mission-driven organizations to serve and enhance the community. Through programs, campaigns and events, extensive networking, and public advocacy, the Chamber serves as a convener, catalyst, and champion for the city and the region. Our highly diverse, innovative, and active member base includes more than 760 businesses and 50,000 employees.
The Chamber is an exciting and vibrant environment in an truly unique and inviting city. We seek individuals who are passionate about Mountain View and want to make a tangible difference in helping businesses thrive. Please see our current openings below. If you wish to apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Membership and Development Director
Do you want to make a tangible difference in your community? Do you want to help local storefronts and corporations work together to grow and flourish? Are you fanatical about customer care? The Mountain View Chamber of Commerce is a membership-based non-profit that integrates business, government, and mission-driven organizations to serve and enhance the community. Through programs, campaigns, and events, extensive networking, and public advocacy, the Chamber serves as a convener, catalyst, and champion for the city and the region. Our highly diverse, innovative, and active member base includes more than 760 businesses and 50,000 employees.
Nearly two-thirds of our $900K budget comes from membership dues and sponsorships. The Membership and Development Director is directly responsible for creating and executing the plans and operations that provide tangible benefits for our member businesses while serving the community at large and allow the Chamber to meet its financial goals. This dynamic and senior role includes:
- New Member Recruitment and Onboarding
- Ongoing Member Support and Retention
- Fundraising and Securing Sponsorships
- Leadership and business management of the Downtown Business Association (DBA)
- Formation and Support of Strategic Partnerships
- Operational Support, including management of one part-time team member and of volunteer staff
The position is based in Mountain View, CA. No relocation is provided, and applicants must be familiar with the unique nature of our city and the Bay Area region.
New Member Recruitment & Onboarding
- Devise short and long-term strategies, campaigns, and programs to recruit businesses to become Chamber members
- Ensure new member’s level and package best suits their needs and circumstances, including appropriate sponsorship opportunities
- Onboard new members, including training in online member tools
Ongoing Member Support & Retention
- Provide proactive and excellent customer service, including regular personal check-ins both informally and in structured settings, to ensure that businesses value the Chamber, are informed and engaged, maximize their benefits, and utilize available tools and resources.
- With Team, devise marketing and promotion campaigns (online and offline) to increase customer awareness of businesses and their offerings, and drive traffic to their stores and websites
- Promote engagement of members through sponsorships, attendance, volunteering, and press opportunities
- Evaluate their membership package at least annually, and make recommendations for any changes based on needs and circumstances, including upgrades or add-on programs
Fundraising & Sponsorships
- Secure Sponsorships and perform fundraising as needed for events, tools, and programs to achieve financial goals and support sponsors’ objectives
- Coordinate with Events Manager to ensure goals and implementation of these activities are aligned to encourage new members to join and meet needs of existing members
- Encourage businesses to provide volunteers for Chamber activities and community engagement.
DBA Leadership and Business Management
The Chamber is responsible for the financial and business management of the Downtown Business Association (DBA), which is guided by the DBA Advisory Council
- Lead monthly meetings, while engaging DBA members on activities and fostering their internal leadership
- Advocate on behalf of downtown businesses, including serving as DBA representative on the City’s Downtown Committee
- With CEO and Board, work to optimize Chamber+DBA value proposition, fee structure, and collection mechanisms
- Prepare annual DBA activity and budget report for the City
- Play matchmaker. Identify opportunities where companies and/or community organizations, with mutually beneficial needs can work together, and facilitate introductions and getting started.
- Work closely with key agencies and organizations on common objectives that directly affect local businesses, such as neighborhood associations and City government.
- Manage and leverage Ambassador Program, ensuring outreach to new members and assistance with programs, campaigns and events
- Perform member billing and invoicing, including collection of past-due member accounts and payments. Prepare month-end membership reports on new members for Board review, and status of accounts receivables related to member generated revenue.
- Directly manage support staff to achieve overall business development goals
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a 4-year degree – preferred in sales/marketing, customer service, business or management
- Proven success developing and executing marketing programs and campaigns for small businesses that drive both physical and virtual traffic
- Near fanatical focus on customer service, balanced with financial and operational considerations
- Exceptional creativity in outreach, engagement and sponsorship approaches
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with a significant number of varied individuals and organizations, and to understand and communicate different sides of complex issues
- Experience in building strategic partnerships with both large corporations and small businesses
- Experience with volunteer recruitment, management and motivation
- Facile with Social Networking platforms, especially Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Dynamic and versatile self-starter who is comfortable in highly interactive and fluid environments
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong planning, operational, and organizational skills
- Positive attitude and outlook, and will actively contribute to team-oriented dynamic
Highly Desirable Skills
- Proven public and private fundraising capability
- Expertise with the following software: Chamber Master, Google G-Suite, QuickBooks
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position is full-time, exempt. Salary is $70,000/yr plus health insurance benefits and retirement plan. Generous vacation package including one week at Thanksgiving and the last two weeks of December. Commute and phone allowances are available. Split between office and work-from-home time is supported; some early morning and evening meetings/events are required, as well as two-weekend functions each year. The Director reports directly to the President & CEO.